Canceling QuickBooks Online
Canceling QuickBooks Online is the easy part. But below you will find the steps for what you should do before you cancel your subscription. This is very important even if the business has closed.
The simple steps....
The simple steps are: Gear>Account settings>billing and subscriptions>cancel
Important Points to Note:
- You must be signed into your QuickBooks company as the Master Administrator or Company Administrator.
- If you purchased your subscription from your accountant, contact your accountant to cancel.
- If you purchased your subscription from a mobile app store (such as iTunes/Apple Apps or Google Play), please see Unsubscribe or cancel QuickBooks Online subscription purchased through an app store (iOS or Android)
Canceling QuickBooks Online: Download!
- You should download any payroll tax returns (this should be done regardless of canceling QuickBooks Online).* see below
- Download any attachments. Gear>select attachments>batch action>export.
- Download financials and your general ledger by fiscal year and by the accounting method determined by your tax return or CPA (for example, accrual or cash basis)
Canceling QuickBooks Online: Export
- Export reports by an excel spreadsheet.
- You can export your QuickBooks Online data to a desktop file. Now if you do not have that program, you will need assistance from a ProAdvisor who does. At Artesani Bookkeeping, we perform this service and for a fee, will store it securely in the cloud for you.
- If you are converting to desktop yourself, export your data to QuickBooks Desktop. See Exporting from Online to Desktop
- NOTE: If you are using QuickBooks Online on a Mac, you cannot export to desktop yourself, you will need to Contact Intuit for assistance.
Timeframe for your data post cancellation....
You have read-only access to your QuickBooks Online data for one year after you cancel your subscription.
If you never paid for a subscription and you were in a free trial and you cancel during this free trial or if your trial expires, your data is available for 90 days.
Suspended Accounts: If your credit card is declined, you have 14 days to update your billing information. During this time you have full access to QuickBooks Online. After that, your account is suspended and you will have to re-subscribe to access your data.
Other important tips....
If you're not in the United States, please see Cancel your QuickBooks Online subscription (Non-US)
Users with a Payroll Subscription, you must complete or clear all e-payments and direct deposits before you can cancel.*
If your account has been suspended, you must re-subscribe before you can cancel.